GOPIO is a non-partisan, secular global organization engaged in promoting the well being of People of Indian Origin, enhancing cooperation and communication between Indians living in different countries. With this perspective some specific objectives of GOPIO are:
- To promote the interests and aspirations of the Indian communities around the world and of specific groups residing in various countries of their adoption.
- To promote common cultural heritage and therefore create a binding relationship.
- To mobilize financial, intellectual and professional resources of Indians abroad for their mutual development and advancement.
- To encourage interaction between communities of Indians abroad on a global level to deliberate and decide on common issues and problems facing them including education and technology.
- To further the interaction between PIOs and other communities at the global level in promoting world peace, progress and ecological harmony